1. JADE has established the JADE Award in Development Economics in Memory of Yujiro Hayami (hereafter "the Award").
2. The objectives of the Award are to remember the achievements of late Prof. Yujiro Hayami, one of the best Japanese development and agricultural economists and to foster young development economists based in Japan.
3. The winner of the Award should satisfy the following conditions.
(1) A regular or student member of 40 years old or younger at the time of winning the award.
(2) Being affiliated or having been affiliated with a university, research institution, or related organization in Japan and engaging in research in development economics.
(3) Presenter at the JADE annual meetings at the time of winning the award.
4. The selection process of the Award should be as follows.
(1) Members of the program committee of the JADE annual meeting (the Meeting) in each year become the members of the selection committee of the Award.
(2) The call-for-paper for the Meetings explains that the selection of papers presented at the Meeting will also be the selection of the winner of the Award.
(3) The members of the selection committee select the candidate in the process of selection of papers for the Meeting.
(4) The board approves the candidate selected by the selection committee.
(5) The Award is awarded to the winner in a ceremony at the Meeting.
5. The selection of the Award is solely based on the quality of the paper presented at the Meeting. The selection committee evaluates the originality of research ideas, the innovativeness of analytical methods, and the importance of policy implication from the analysis. It thus selects the major author of a paper that is most likely to be published in a top-level international refereed journal. When these criteria are not satisfied by any of the candidates in a year, the Award in that year is not awarded.
6. The winner of the Award is provided an honorable certificate and 100,000 yen.